|From moč niti|
The designer of textile and clothes Anda Klančič acquired her Master’s degree at the Academy of Fine Arts and Design. Her work is characterised by innovative and creative use of the machine embroidered lace technique, which she skilfully combines with experience from other disciplines, mainly photography. Her work has received several awards at exhibitions in Europe, Asia and the USA, among which the second prize at the global exhibition of textile art in Kyoto, 1999. She was also ranked among 40 most innovative textile artists in the world (lecture of Prof. Michele Fricke, SOFA, Chicago, USA, 1999). Her works are included in 16 collections of textile art around the world.
The newly discovered dimensions of the expressive possibilities of the machine embroidered lace technique introduced Anda Klančič to the world of thread formations and textile objects. In sewing with a sewing machine, the embroidered base is just a temporary device, which is removed in the subsequent process. The openness to space is accompanied by the reduction principle, lightness of abstraction, which substitutes adding, accumulation and filling of space. This triggers a minimalistic record, which manages, for a moment, to stop the impression, and the captured reality becomes more real than the one that is seen. The eruptive motions arising from thread surfaces are sometimes enough to create new sensible worlds and new landscapes in space. Stories repeat themselves; they examine human existence, either on the surface or in space.
In recent years the thread formations of Anda Klančič are being installed with increasing care in galleries, where, with their meaningful titles, they demand reflection from the viewers, try to convince them with their meaning and involve them in their own sensitive experience of the world.
1960 – born in Koper
1995 – graduated in textile and clothes design from the Faculty of Natural Science and Engineering in 1999, completed her Master’s studies at the Academy of Fine Arts in Ljubljana in 1999.
Her work includes textile art, jewellery, installation and photography.
- Honorary Mention, 13th International Triennial of Tapestry, Central Museum of Textiles, Łódź, Poland, 2010
- A quarter of the Year Acknowledgment, Designer’s Association of Slovenia - DOS, 2010
- Kreinik Award, Art of the Stitch, London, UK ,1997
- Excellence award, 6th international textile art exhibition, Kyoto, Japan, 1999
- Trend Award, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2001
Selected individual exhibitions
- Galerija Meduza, Koper, Slovenia, 2001
- Galerija Božidar Jakac – lapidarij, Kostanjevica na Krki, Slovenia, 2007
- Galerija Narodni dom, Trieste, Italy, 2008
- Galerija Korotan, Vienna, Austria, 2009
Selected group exhibitions
- 6th international textile exhibition, Kyoto, Japan, 1999
- Flet-Braid, Aalborg, Denmark, 2001
- 7th international tapestry triennial, Łódź, Poland, 2004
- Beyond Weaving: International ArtTextiles, FinnGallery, Greenwich, USA , 2006
- Miniartextile, Montrouge, France, 2005 and 2008
Three-dimensional thread composition Footpaths III, 2010, hand-controlled machine embroidered lace, mixed media, synthetic thread and metal wire
Maja Kržišnik, art historian
Photography Anda Klančič, Francesco Montenero